BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Chicago Curiosities - Pictures You Won't See in the Book!

Chicago Curiosities is now LIVE and available through the usual book-buying channels. The book is intended to be a fun read and also to act as a somewhat quirky guidebook to the wide range of peculiarities one can find in Chicago.
Vicki Matranga, curator of the Culinary Curiosity exhibit,
shows me how to boil water.

In order to write the book and provide photos for it, I traveled all around Chicago on several different occasions (with my husband as driver and navigator). I took many, many pictures for each subject.

On page 49 there's an entry titled "Now We're Cookin'." It's about the Culinary Curiosity Exhibition at Kendall College. This exhibit features food-related tools from 19th and early 20th century America, 18th century Europe, and a few other cultures. You can read more about the exhibit at the link above. 


In the book, the entry is accompanied by my photo of a stove from the 1800s. Here on the blog, I'm sharing a few "out-takes" (photos that were not used). If you get a chance to visit this exhibit, I highly recommend that you do so. It's fascinating!



Tea for Two. . . or 12. . . or 20!
Before crock pots there were "fireless cookers"
that resembled wooden blanket chests. 


No comments:

Post a Comment