The deadline for entering this first contest is Tuesday, August 18. Just post your answers to the Quiz in a Comment and make sure you provide a way for me to contact you. If you prefer not to post contact info publicly, you'll have to check back here next week to find out if you won. If you win, you can email me privately with your snail mail address.
There is no penalty for guessing! So go on and give it a whirl. You know you want to. Good luck to all! Ready? Set? GO!
Quizzical Quotes about ChicagoWho said:
1. "My son was not a gangster. He was always a good boy, until he got to going around with that North Side gang."
(a) Al Capone in 1927
(b) Josephine Schwimmer in 1929
(c) Oprah Winfrey in 1984
(d) Mike Ditka in 1985
2. "In this as in many of its public endeavors, the methods of Chicago are noisy and more or less offensive to dignity and good taste."
(a) The New York Times in 1889
(b) Charlie Comiskey in 1901
(c) Richard J. Daley in 1966
(d) Hugh Hefner in 1971
3. "Chicago was attractive in its ugliness, grim and begrimed, a city that still had the spirit of frontier days."
(a) Jane Addams in 1890
(b) Herman H. Kohlsaat in 1895
(c) Charlie Chaplin in 1915
(d) Abbie Hoffman in 1968
4. "I have struck a city - a real city - and they call it Chicago. . . . I urgently desire never to see it again. It is inhabited by savages."
(a) René-Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle in 1683
(b) Mary Todd Lincoln in 1875
(c) Rudyard Kipling in 1891
(d) Billy Sianis in 1945
5. "Chicago is not the most corrupt American city. It's the most theatrically corrupt."
(a) "Shoeless" Joe Jackson in 1919
(b) Nathan Leopold in 1924
(c) Judge Julius Hoffman in 1968
(d) Studs Terkel in 1978