For answering all five questions correctly, the winner of a free, autographed copy of It Happened in Chicago is B. Hoffmeister! Congratulations!
* * * * * *
The correct answers for
Quizzical Quotes about Chicago
1. "My son was not a gangster. He was always a good boy, until he got to going around with that North Side gang."
(b) Josephine Schwimmer in 1929
2. "In this as in many of its public endeavors, the methods of Chicago are noisy and more or less offensive to dignity and good taste."
(a) The New York Times in 1889
3. "Chicago was attractive in its ugliness, grim and begrimed, a city that still had the spirit of frontier days."
(c) Charlie Chaplin in 1915
4. "I have struck a city - a real city - and they call it Chicago. . . . I urgently desire never to see it again. It is inhabited by savages."
(c) Rudyard Kipling in 1891
5. "Chicago is not the most corrupt American city. It's the most theatrically corrupt."
(d) Studs Terkel in 1978